December 11, 2017, 11:10:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Route 66 Remembered !

Home  |  Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: There Has Been A "lot of water under the bridge"!  (Read 1809 times)
astute observer
« on: April 09, 2011, 02:24:27 AM »

There has been a lot of water under the bridge, so to speak, since I have posted anything on this subject. I'm still collecting guns made by, and information on, Illinois gunmakers.  I took an inventory a few days ago and realized that I now own 224 guns of various types, by Illinois makers. I bought four during a five week period in February and March. The first two were an odd coincidence, to say the least. The first one was a halfstock percussion rifle made by M H HURST, who worked in Paris, Edgar County, Illinois. I bought it over the phone during a live auction in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The following day, I went to the Rock Island Auction Company's "regional auction" in Moline, Illinois. There I bought a fullstock percussion rifle, also made by M H HURST. I have only seen (or heard of) four rifles by this maker, and I already own the other two.

A week later, at our Prairie State Longrifle Show, I bought what I consider to be among my rarest guns. It is a one-of-a-kind breechloading cartridge rifle, single-shot, with a never before seen falling-block action, made by Joseph Butler, Chicago, Illinois. It appears to be of Butler's own design, and is chambered for the .45-70 Govt. cartridge. This would date it somewhere between 1873 (the year that cartridge was introduced) and 1887, after which Butler was no longer in business. Butler was a well-known Chicago maker, who arrived in 1857. He was born, and probably learned his trade, in England. I have three other guns by Butler, but none are in any way similar to this one. Two of them are muzzle-loaders. The third is a breechloading 10 gauge double shotgun. All are of high quality.

The fourth recent acquisition is a fullstock percussion rifle made by J. BURGESS (Jonathon Burgess) in Champaign, Illinois. I bought it on an internet auction and am awaiting its arrival from Utah.

Puter Doc
Administrator
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 10:26:45 AM »

:grinning-smiley-003: Wow Astute ! I still find all your gun collecting adventures fascinating. I'm a fan of historical fiction books that are set in 19th century. So your collecting of guns from that era fits right in. It's really good to read about your collecting adventures again.

DE
Queen of Questions
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 10:39:08 AM »

Sooooo...when are you guys opening a museum?????  :laughing-smiley-004:

chikadee
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 02:39:42 PM »

Astute, love hearing about your guns.  I always think I learn just a little cause you talk so I understand.
Wondering also, if you have retired? still working? how is the Mrs?  Been healthy? Grandkids update?  Please update us.

astute observer
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 06:13:22 PM »

Yes, I'm still working, but the end is on the horizon.  I could retire as early as November 1st, when I can go on Medicare, but Mrs. Astute is trying to talk me into waiting until she can also retire, in May of 2012.  No decision has been made yet.  It might end up being something in between.  Everyone in the family is doing fine. Oldest grandson, Trent, is finishing up his first year of college. He is Attending Greenville College, in Greenville, Illinois. It is a Christian College about 40 miles east of St. Louis. Derrick is a Junior in high school. He is currently out for track and winning most of his events, but his favorite and best sport is cross-country.  He finished 9th in the state as a Sophomore. Six of the eight who finished ahead of him were Seniors, so next Fall looks rather promising for hm. He made "All State" as a Freshman, having finished 23rd that year. Katelin is a Freshman, also runs track and cross-country, and has also been winning some events in track this season. She is carrying a 4 point grade average and is ranked number one in her class of about 130. The boys have been good students, on the honor roll, but were never quite up with their little sister. Derrick's girlfriend is down from Wisconsin this weekend for his birthday. Her name is Mackaylin, and this is the first time I've met her. She is quite pretty, very bright, and personality-wise seems to be a female version of Derrick. What is a 17 year old high school Junior doing with a girlfriend who lives 200 miles away? That's a story for another time.

DE
Queen of Questions
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 08:42:38 AM »

Awww...sounds like things are going well Astute..and it's nice, I feel like I'm just picking up where we all left off...only the kids are OLDER!!!  :o:  college, girlfriends  shocked

chikadee
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 06:24:57 PM »

Thanks for the update.......I love catching up.
Have you and the Mrs been healthy?
I think both JAL and I will retire in 2013....me 1/2013 and him 6/2013.  See how those best laid plans go as the time goes by.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: