November 18, 2017, 06:19:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Route 66 Remembered !

Home  |  Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Four More Illinois-made rifles...in one weekend.  (Read 2376 times)
astute observer
« on: February 05, 2012, 12:43:20 AM »

Last Saturday there was a large antigue gun auction in Prairie-du-Chien, Wisconsin. A lot of the muzzle-loaders were from the estate of an elderly collector in Argyle, Wisconsin, whom I knew.  He has been gone for seven or eight years now, I'd guess. I received a sale flyer in the mail, then looked at the online auction catalog.  I recognized three of the rifles as being by Illinois makers.  I could have driven up there, but was already committed to tables at our local gun show. I could have bid online, during the live auction, but had a very bad experience with that a few weeks ago.  So.....we arranged for them to call us when the lots came up, and Mr's Astute bid on them over the phone....and got all three.  They are a G. KOPP, made in Haldane, Ogle County, Illinois; a Wm. DUDMAN, made in Xenia, Clay County, Illinois; and a G.T. COCHRAN, made in Galena, Jo Daviess County, Illinois.  Meanwhile, back at the gun show, a man came in carrying a crusty & rusty  fullstock rifle that had recently been found in a hayloft, by a man tearing down an old barn for the weathered "barn board" siding.  When he started to pull it out of the case, I instantly realized that I was looking at a rifle made by S. D. HINSDALE, PRINCETON, ILL., who worked just six miles from here.  Hinsdale arrived here in 1838, and is one of my favorite makers.  After some quick negotiating, I now own it too. This makes my second rifle by Hinsdale.  It is also the second "found in a barn" rifle that has come my way in the last several years. The other one was also by a very local maker named H. TOPE, who died in the cholera epidemic in 1849.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 04:40:36 AM by astute observer »

DE
Queen of Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 11:06:30 AM »

WOW...four in one day!! ...CONGRATS!!!

chikadee
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 12:39:49 PM »

congrats.

triggertripper
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 10:02:29 PM »

I am new to this site I ran across it when I was searching for G. Kopp gum maker.  I have a G. Kopp gun that I picked up at a antique shop.  I thought it was great Ogle County history.  nod Percussion rifle,  Oak stock in about 48 cal.
O. K. Welty II
Rock River Outfitters Inc.  Oregon Illinois

Puter Doc
Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 11:47:32 AM »

Welcome Trip Trigger ! I'm the admin here, people just call me Doc or JAL whatever suits you is fine with me. Anyway, most of the time any more it's extremely quiet around here. I check in a couple times a day, but other than that it's pretty dead. We are down to about 3 or 4 members that occasionally check in and Astute is one of them. Anyway I guess my point is that just don't expect a quick reply to your posts except maybe from me. I wish it was more active here, if you know anyone that might be interested in interacting with some good people send them our way ! We're always ready to welcome new members.

smiley-linie-010

triggertripper
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 01:36:42 PM »

That's fine I don't get in a hurry very often.  Just looking for more info on my gun The gun was made here in Ogle county Illinois not far from where my gun shop is.  On display in my shop it has had a few people think great to have some local history.  It may go to the Ogle county historical society here in Oregon.

Puter Doc
Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 11:49:39 AM »

That's good as patience is a real good thing here. Anyway Triggertripper sorry I got your handle kinda messed up in my first post. Astute Observer, our resident firearms expert has been collecting antiques firearms of the muzzleloading variety for many years and has even written a couple of books on the subject of Illinois gun makers. I'm sure he'll be interested in talking to you about your rifle.

astute observer
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 07:21:52 PM »

Interesting!  I have two G. KOPP rifles in my own collection, and have seen a number of others.  George Kopp made rifles in Pennsylvania, before moving to Illinois.  They never carry an address, with the name stamp, so unless there is some history with the rifle, it is hard to say for certain where it was made.  One of mine came from that old collection in Southern Wisconsin, so there is a good chance it was made in Illinois. The other one was found in Florida, so it's anyone's guess, where he made it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: